The 4M Framework
The 4M Framework can be used to evaluate your Family Engagement Program.
- Share your beliefs with the whole school that parents value education and are capable of helping their children succeed.
- Make an extra effort to form relationships with parents whom teachers deem as difficult to engage, showing that parents will respond to the right approach.
- Check in regularly with teachers about their efforts to engage families. Listen carefully and acknowledge the challenges they might be facing.
- Let teachers know you’re always available to talk about family engagement.
- Offer to attend meetings between parents and teachers, particularly when you already have a trusting relationship with the parent.
- In collaboration with teachers, identify what resources could help certain families support their children’s learning. Help teachers find these resources and check in with families regularly about how they are working. Report back to teachers.
- Schedule conversations about family engagement into faculty meetings
- Take care of the logistics for family events to allow teachers to have more time to interact with families